Sunday, January 22, 2006


I forget how utterly strange my music is to most other people. "what the fuck" people said to me recently while playing a bit of Einstein on the Beach. "1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3...." and even Different Trains (which i thought was so tame) gets looks. Not only that, but i feel i've become (or became, a while ago) jaded to the avant garde. Feels like nothing phases me these days and thats no fun. The last thing i heard which i can say truly "stretched my ears" in terms of un-heard sound combinations was Vincent Bergeron's pieces, and that wasnt even a radical departure from what im used to. But i shouldnt be so dramatic. ...moooore.. i want...

However, I have to thank again the wonderous Cacophonous.org for supplying me with many wonderful things to furnish my ears, and to Analog for letting me in on some Webern i didnt know (as well as other interesting pieces). Currently, there is a gorgeous and interesting flute piece on Cacophonous- Cold Blue Noodle by Jason Taylor, and i feel an obligation to give it a few kind words it deserves. Feels like an updated version of Debussy's Syrinx. Im not sure how those overtones are produced and it seems like it would be difficult, but wonderful all the same.

All right, enough of this procrastination!

No comments: