Thursday, April 16, 2009

...

There is a universe of music waiting to explored. Yesterday, thanks to Smithsonian Global Sound ( accessed through my university) I fell in love with music from Azerbaijan and its neighboring Armenia. Hearing these sweet melodies and unfamiliar instrumentation brings out urges to travel and explore, the exuberance in this music lifts my ears. I look forward to getting to know music from the Caucasus region. Yet it is daunting, hundreds of tracks of music recorded in this small region (about the size of my state) and I still have so much to hear.

Just the other day I was enjoying the beauty of Oumou Sangare's music. From Mali to Azerbaijan, there are so many incredible corners of the world, and an equally dizzying number of beautiful pieces of music. Lala.com is great for connecting up to this music, as it contains an incredible number of tracks online.

I need to travel again. I'm getting antsy.

Currently working on my thesis on 20th century urbanism in Marseille, France (not focusing on Corbu), who would of thought that it would have been so difficult to find writing on? ah well, that cosmopolitan city is my favorite in France.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey - thanks for the post about Smithsonian Global Sound, an initiative of Smithsonian Folkways.

Glad you're enjoying the music!

If you or your readers would like to pick up a CD or digital download from www.folkways.si.edu, use code "FWBOOKMARK" to save 15% on your next order.

Thanks again,

David Horgan
Smithsonian Folkways

Troy said...

I've never browsed the site before - but this is amazing. Great post - and glad to have the 15% discount!